Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Wisps of Fog

Up early enough to see the lunar eclipse though never quite sure if I was seeing the eclipse or just clouds.  Decided not to try for a pic.  Drove to the town hall.  Got out the poll books and ballots from the locked back room.   Started up the machine and printed out a 'Zero Report' to show we are starting anew.  Had a few people waiting to come in before our 7 a.m. start.  Like that most of the day though never had a line longer than 5 people.  Mid morning we started noticing a 'Farm Fresh' smell wafting in whenever anyone opened the door.  A large dairy not far away had opened up it's manure pit and was spreading it on fields.  That was one potent odor but the people coming in to vote took it in stride.  I noticed a lot of the men were sporting full beards.  A neighbor came in and I didn't even recognize him for all of the hair.   I asked what the deal was.  They are growing 'hunting beards'.  It's suppose to be a way to keep the face warm while outside during deer hunting.  (One guy even told me Deer Hunting Season is bigger than Christmas.)  Managed to eat half my sandwich for lunch.  I was getting a bit punchy by 8 p.m. when the polls closed.  Our second largest turnout.  Fortunately, the tabulator does all of the counting for us and the clerk and her deputy came in at the end to help finish paperwork and move furniture back in place.  The tally numbers were  called into the county and we were in our cars by 9 p.m.    Just need to reset my alarm for a normal wakeup time.  (and, yes, I spilled coffee down the front of my shirt right after we opened the polls!)

No comments: