Monday, November 14, 2022

Last of the Nannyberries

The best exercise machine isn't a Peloton, I've decided.  It's a dog.  Snow had begun to fall and I was thinking how pretty it was to watch it  - from inside the house.   Whip however kept wanting to go outside. Whenever I let her out she just sat by the front door waiting for me.  I'd let her back in and soon she wanted to go out and once again just sit by the front door.  So I put on a coat and gloves, slung the camera bag over my shoulder and out we went for a walk.   Gorgeous Gorge has ice over the top where the snow was collecting.  I saw little bits of broken reeds and brush spread out over one corner.  Since none of it was imbedded in the ice, I figure a deer came down for a drink, was surprised by the ice, struggled to get back up the bank breaking off little bits of surrounding flora and sending them skidding across the ice.   Forgot how much fun it is seeing stuff in the snow and figuring out what happened (or at least making up a story).  Once back home, the TV weatherman said it would snow all day so it might be slippery on the drive home from work.  Nothing like a warning of bad weather to get everyone out early to do errands and pick up more food.  I drove to town.  On the way I passed one of the big dairy farmer's fields.  He's still spreading manure but now by pumping it through a flexible pipeline.  While that works well in the spring, would think in the autumn the liquid manure could freeze solid in the pipeline.  (He must have a way of cleaning/thawing it out.)  I was back home by early afternoon.  Still snowing.  Will check in the morning and see if the ski hill has it's lights on yet.

No comments: