Monday, September 26, 2022

Big Bluestem

Forecast is for temps to fall to 37 degrees again tonight but tomorrow night below freezing.  I've been doing at least one thing daily since the beginning of September to get ready for this.  Water is very unforgiving when it freezes.  I went into Whip's run today and removed the pail of water I put there in the spring, cleaned it out, and tucked it away for the winter.  Also pulled out my rain gauge and put that in w/ my other outdoor 'knickknacks'.  Emptied the contents of the rain barrel on the deck and moved it to Sleipnir.  I'll use that this winter to store extra water I bring over for the plants.   Moved the bench in front of Mjolnir over to the side.  Mr. Quinn doesn't plow snow that close to the building but figure it's one less thing for him to be concerned about.  Pushed the foot rests either underneath the chairs or next to the chairs on the deck.  Screaming winter winds can blow them clean off the deck but less likely when they are anchored by a chair.  Moved the cacti into Mjolnir.  I don't care if I forget to water them during the winter and in Mjolnir I won't get caught by their needles every time I pass by.  Gave the 'smelly' pot a hard look.  The lemon verbena has grown tall surrounded by the lemon thyme.  The lavender is no longer blooming but is still that purplish green color.  The spearmint and marjoram died back but I see little sprouts of both of them reemerging.   Moved the pot into the living quarters in Mjolnir under the pretext of an experiment to see if the lemon scent might a) be strong enough to smell up the room and/or b) be a deterrent to the flies.  Actually I just don't have the heart to throw the plants in the pot out.  Guess I'm just not ruthless enough to be a gardener.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had frost on the rooftops Tuesday morning. Guessing we do today, too, but I haven’t been out yet. I covered everything because I’m not quite ready to let go yet.
Nancy