Saturday, August 13, 2022

Woolly Chanterelle

 

It was misting most of the morning so that curtailed some of the outside activities.  Phil and Sheila are here.  Once it had dried off enough, they took Jormungandr out for a ride.  When they returned, they had stopped by a spot where my neighbor Susan had showed Phil and I a just emerging white plant and asked if I knew what it was.  Back then my first guess was Ghost Pipe but when I saw it I revised it to Coral Mushrooms.  Phil said they had stopped by the same spot and found other mushrooms.  My curiosity was piqued and Phil and I jumped into Jormungandr to go back and check out the mushroom.  First I looked to see if I was right on the plant Susan had asked about.  It had been a couple of weeks so the plant was fully emerged now.   My first guess had been correct and it was Ghost Pipe (not Coral Mushrooms).  Further down the trail Phil pointed out the orange mushrooms he and Sheila had found.  Thought it was a Chanterelle but didn't know what type.  Back home I leafed through my book and found it was this  kind.  Pretty exciting - another new species for me in this area.  In case you are wondering, this type of Chanterelle isn't recommended for eating - can cause gastrointestinal problems.

No comments: