Monday, August 08, 2022

Daylilies

When I kill someone and I order my last meal, I've often thought it would be a #8 from Taco John's.  The only person I have evil thoughts about at the moment is some bozo in Chicago that works for Social Security.  He has been sitting on my request to begin my SS payments for the last two months (even though their website says claims are processed between 2-4 weeks).  I'd picked up my Medicare bill in the mail on Friday and realized something was wrong.  It should have been automatically paid for through SS starting this month.  Called SS but of course, after a long time on hold, realized that was fruitless.  With offices closed for the weekend I would have to wait until Monday to figure it out.   I drove to Churchtown and the nearest SS office in the morning.  Got a number as I walked in the door and sat in an empty waiting room.  Sometime later #37 was called.  Not sure if it was my number but figured with no one else around who cares?  I succinctly explained my problem to the clerk behind the window and she left for awhile.  When she returned she explained she too had been put on hold.  She finally left a message for the Chicago SS office to transfer my paperwork to the Churchtown office and they would handle it.  She would call me when they got it.  Not a very definitive answer until I asked if I should go ahead and pay the Medicare bill I'd received.  "No." she said firmly and the proverbial sun began to peak through the clouds.  I stopped off at Taco John's for a #8 before leaving town.  Didn't appear I'd be killing anyone soon.  On the drive home through the hills my phone rang.  I pulled over and saw it was the Churchtown SS office.  They had the paperwork and a few questions for me.  The hills are known for spotty cell phone reception so depending on which way the wind blew the tree leaves I heard the questions - or not.  Fortunately there were only a few before she said everything was finished and my payments would begin.  Told her I'd send her flowers but they were real expensive right now.  She started laughing and thanked me for making her day.  She made mine too.

No comments: