Monday, May 09, 2022

Mammatus Clouds

 On Saturday I took down the thistle feeder.  The redpolls are gone and the other birds aren't that interested in those seeds.  I also repositioned the shepard's hooks.  For winter, they are bunched up on the southeast side of the house. Makes for a shorter path through the snow for refilling and that side is sheltered from the fierce winter winds.  During the summer I spread the hooks out along two sides of the house so I can hang plants from some and keep hummingbirds from constantly fighting.  Traditionally, Mother's Day weekend is when the ruby-throated hummingbird (the only hummer we have) returns to the Northwoods.  Of course, hummers don't really care about tradition and up to last Friday our weather had still been quite cold.  On Saturday night I made hummer fluid and hung out just one feeder. Didn't expect to see the hummers quite yet.  This morning I got a 'twofer'.  Not only was Ms. Hummer sitting on the feeder and filling up but I heard a long bubbly bird call from the direction of the stockade.  Bobolinks are back too!

No comments: