Saturday, April 16, 2022

Goldfinch in half-dress

Time to figure out what to serve for Easter Day.  It's just me so I don't have to be too fancy but I think it's good to make an effort on the holidays.   On-line I saw that ham is a usual food served for Easter.  Considering the connection between Passover and Easter, I thought this food banned in Jewish homes to be an odd staple for Christians.  Turns out ham became a fav at Easter more because Easter occurs in the spring.  The pigs are slaughtered in the fall and the carcasses hung over winter to cure.  Easter was the first holiday when the meat was ready to eat.  However, I'm not a fan of ham.  Eggs are also a big part of Easter.  I buy eggs from my brother and they come already colored in shades of mocha and green so no need to drip dye over my countertop.  A quiche for brunch would be perfect (although a souffle is a close second).  Dinner will be a garden pizza.  Lots of veggies but in a nod to the tradition of ham, I add some pepparoni.  A "salad" of raspberries w/ a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a dessert of jellybeans.  Perfect.

No comments: