Friday, November 06, 2020

Milkweed Seeds


 Delores and I had finished sorting the donated books for the grab-bag sale when the librarian said she already had six orders for the first day (next Monday) and would we fill the orders?   It was too late to do it that day so I said I'd come in to fill the bags today.  The first order was for a bag of half  large print Westerns and half inspirational books.  We'd sorted out the Westerns ahead of time but none of them were large-print.  I found five books whose font looked easier to read.  For the other half of the order I went to our library's Inspirational section and wrote down some author names.   Found five books by those authors within the donations.  Finished w/ that order.  The next order was for a bag of mysteries.  I was in my element on this one.  Picked books from some of my fav mystery writers.  Done.  Next order was for a bag of pre-school children books, a bag of Sci-fi, and a bag of 'Amish'.  We'd broken out the children's books roughly by age group so the first bag was easy.  Didn't have a lot of Sci-fi in the donated books so I added in some Fantasy w/ that bag. 'Amish' usually means fiction set in Amish country.  I went looking and found quite a few.  Bag seemed a little light though so I added in a book on home remedies and a book by a farmer-turned-priest.  The next order wanted three bags of books by three specific authors.  I found one book by one of the authors.   I didn't recognize the other author names so looked them up on the computer.  One wrote historical fiction and the other had received a Christy award.  A Christy can't be mystery since that award is called an Agatha. It occurred to me I'd read a trilogy of books called Christy- bet that person prefers faith-based fiction.  Historical Fiction was somewhat easy to find.  Threw in a copy of' Pillars of the Earth since a friend had read it for our book club and she'd said it was a great historical fiction.  We were getting low on faith-based fiction but I found enough -plus I threw in a biography of Eisenhower.  I finished up the other orders and they are all bagged and ready go on Monday.  For $2 a bag hopefully people will be flexible in accepting substitutions.

No comments: