Tuesday, July 28, 2020

First Cut

My neighbor Blake cut the hay field next to the house this morning.  Farmers need conditions where the field is dry enough so heavy machinery doesn't get bogged down in mud and there will be a few days of no rain so the hay has time to dry and be baled. Blake had already cut and baled other fields (those are his bales and wagon in cousin Paul's pictures) but hadn't gotten to this one yet.  Another neighbor who lives up and around the corner had stopped me three times asking if he could take the hay off the field.  I'm not sure why.  It's  been a good year for hay and my neighbor across the road sells hay already baled.  I told him he'd have to talk to Blake (we have a barter agreement for the hay).   I saw Blake checking the field's firmness yesterday so I knew he hoped to be cutting soon.  The fawns are old enough to get out of his way and the baby birds born in the tall grass have already flown.  This time of year my only concern is to make sure Whip is inside or on a leash and Dunder hasn't made a breakout through the back door.

No comments: