Monday, July 13, 2020

Cricket on a Daylily

The members of the book club decided to e-mail a list of ten books that taught them something.  As w/ most of the things we do, we are pretty open to each person's different interpretation of the request.   I included the Bible on my list.  Felt a little funny about it since it's more than just a regular book but I only had 9 books and we needed 10.  Could have done what Nancy did and just jump from #8 to #10.  My first three books were no-brainers - The Dinosaur Heresies, The Mismeasure of Man, and Planiverse.  I included MacBeth since I still think it's about Free-Will vs. Predestination.  I rounded out my list w/ The Scarlet Letter, The Story of the Romans, Seven Pillars of Wisdom, To Build a Fire, and The Ruins.  I recognized some of the books in other lists: Sibley Guide to Birds, Dune, Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, And Then There Were None, Anne of Green Gables, and In Cold Blood.  My eyebrows went up when someone listed Fifty Shades of Grey on their list.  They explained that it taught them that not all books are worth reading.

No comments: