Thursday, July 23, 2020

Brent walking Whip

Getting a dog from a county humane society is a lot different than when I adopted Indy over 13 years ago.  Part of it is corona-virus related.  All of the humane societies are closed.  You need to get on-line and see the pets virtually.  Some of the animals aren't located in a central facility anymore but fostered out to homes.  My county didn't have any dogs (lots of cats though) so I went searching through the nearby counties.  The agreement I signed to adopt Indy was just a half a page.  Now I had to fill out a three page application, supply references, the name of the vet I'd be using, and pictures of my house.  I expressed an interest in a dog but was e-mailed that 'Margarita' was going to be adopted by another family.  Late in the morning I received a call that the other family didn't want her.  So I bopped down to the foster home.  The dog looked fit and friendly.  The foster family said the woman who had come in the morning thought the dog was too 'mouthy', that she had saggy teats (she probably had a litter sometime), and that she didn't even know basic commands like sit or her name.  None of that bothered me.  She doesn't bite, who doesn't have saggy teats at some age, and I believe all dogs have a certain degree of intelligence.   As a good Baptist girl though  I didn't want to run through the countryside calling for a Margarita.  Since the dog didn't know the name the humane society had given her anyway, I decided to change it to a more 'positive-thinking' name:  This dog will be as smart as a whip.

No comments: