Thursday, May 14, 2020

Thrasher and Bobolink

On the pre-dawn constitutional this morning I heard a drawn-out bubbly bird song.  I know that sound.  The bobolinks are back!  I didn't see one but tried to remember to put it in my log.  Bobolinks are basically just another species in the blackbird family w/ a tuxedo colored body and yellow feathers at it's nape.  It's claim to fame isn't looks but that remarkable extended song.  This afternoon I was outside potting a box w/ geraniums and alyssum when I heard another prolonged avian song.  Looked over to the stockade and there was a long tailed bird.  I listened again.  That's the brown thrasher.  I love it's large repertoire of chirps, trills, and tweets that it strings together w/ double phrasing.  Had I mistaken it's call for a bobolink's this morning?  I'll admit sometimes I start out on the walk stumbling down the path since I'm not fully w/ it yet.   When the thrasher left it's high perch in the plum trees it was almost immediately replaced by a very recognizable bobolink singing the same rambling song as this morning.  Comforting to know I haven't lost it quite yet.

No comments: