Monday, March 09, 2020

March Full Moon

These last few days just the reflected light of the moon was enough to create shadows when Indy and I would take our pre-dawn constitutional.  It's called the 'Worm Moon' in the Farmer's Almanac and on TV.   Supposedly that's because the earthworms are coming up to look around. I think Full Moon names need to be more localized.    Pretty sure most places south of me the earthworms are around all year long.  However even though the road weight ban's are going on this week, I'm not expecting to see earthworms anytime soon.  I prefer the Anishnaabe (Chippewa, Ojibwa) name for the March moon - the 'Snow Crust Moon'.  The snow we have has a hard crust on it from the daily freeze/thaw cycle.  That's a good thing.  Instead of turning back toward the house w/ me this morning, Indy kept on going over the field attracted by the smell of fetid flesh near the road (maybe a dead deer?).  I don't walk her w/ a leash (Judge Judy would be appalled) and she now has 'selective' hearing so my only option was to walk out over the snow to get her.  The snow was rock hard.  Might be able to get out to the woods tomorrow!

No comments: