Thursday, October 10, 2019

Forest in Fall Color

Visited all of the remaining nest boxes to clean them out and bring them back home.  I look around for a twig/stick to clean out the houses before carrying them back.  This usually doesn't work very well.  Short sticks means I get my hand dirty.  Long sticks are ungainly.  Thin sticks break before I can get the old nest material out of the house.  Thick sticks don't get enough leverage to get the encrusted stuff out.  My sister gave me a dandelion puller earlier in the year and I carried it along w/ me today.  It's sturdy, has two sharp prongs, and is just long enough that I don't have to put my hand down into the cylinder.  Turned out to be a perfect bird-house-cleaner-outer.  Maybe the company should include that in their advertising.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That little dandelion puller has soooo many uses. I rarely use it to pop dandelions out of the ground but it just works on so many other little projects. Nice that it works on nest removal, too!!

cjb

Anonymous said...

I made this my new desktop background.