Thursday, August 22, 2019

Mushrooms

Another perfect day in the Northwoods.  I set out to look for the orchid that blooms in the swamp west of me.  Walking though the woods I had to watch my step.  It's been a good year for mushrooms and they were popping up all over the place.  They grow in colonies and I could see where someone seeing a bunch of brightly colored mushrooms might imagine them as homes for fairies.  On the way back I remembered that when Phil cut down a white birch that we'd left some of the wood out here meaning to come back for it later.  I might as well carry at least one piece back w/ me this trip.  Found the spot and right behind it was a bunch of mountain ash trees.  I don't have many so it was nice to find this grouping.  Noticed it's also been a good year for the Monarch butterflies.  Three years ago I saw maybe two the entire season but this year I'll see a number of them on the goldenrod every time I go out.   Didn't find the orchid - might have been too late or too early or maybe something happened to it this year.  Looking for something specific in the woods is a little like shopping for something specific at a garage sale.  You may not find what you are looking for but you'll find all sorts of other interesting stuff.

No comments: