Friday, August 30, 2019

Cope's Gray Tree Frog

Was pretty surprised to see this little guy atop the sedum.  If I'm not mistaken he's a Cope's Gray Tree Frog.   My locale is just barely within his known boundaries.  I've seen regular Gray Tree frogs around before.  They are fun to find since they can change their color slightly to match their surroundings.  The Cope's is a bit smaller than the Gray and has a slightly different call so it's hard to tell them apart.  However, outside of their breeding season (it ended in July) the Cope's back reverts to a solid smooth green like this one has.  If I'm correct it's a new species for me.  I had more good news as I watched groups of deer wander out onto the meadow tonight.  A doe w/ two fawns (they are just shedding their spots now) came walking out.  Then two does w/ one fawn appeared.  I've watched these fawns from when I first saw them back in May/June.  Nice to know they made it through their most vulnerable first months of life.  Even though they are now self-sufficient they will stay close to their mothers through the fall and winter.

No comments: