Saturday, November 03, 2018

Tamarack swamp

Wanted to try making Boeuf Bourguignon.  Takes a while but every step looks simple enough.  Went grocery shopping this morning.  The recipe called for a bottle of Pinot Noir.  Walked into the liquor section of the grocery store and stopped.  Fortunately, the guy behind the counter had no other customers and asked if I needed help.  I told him what I was looking for.  He led me to the back and waved his arm over some shelves of various brands of wine all w/ the title 'Pinot Noir'.  My eyes must have still been glazed over because he asked what I wanted the wine for. "I'm cooking w/ it." I said.  He chose a bottle off the middle shelf.  "This is probably what you want." he suggested.  "The top shelf are great for drinking but could overwhelm in a cooked dish.  The bottom shelf is for winos."  OK, good to know.  The steak is now marinating overnight in a fermented liquid that isn't fine wine but isn't potentially toxic either.

No comments: