Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Dunder

Our library uses a service to provide Children's books and Large Print books.  They send some throughout the year and do a good job based on how often those books are checked out.  The rest of the books are picked by the library.  Our specific clientele prefers the genres of Inspirational and Western paperbacks.   According to our stats 60% of the people coming into the library pick a book off our shelves rather than checking books out from other libraries and having them sent here.  The librarian was making small talk w/ me and asked what kind of books I prefer.  "I like the subject matter of 'Catholics killing other Catholics'." I answered.  Shocked look on the librarian's face.  Figured I should explain. "My sister got me started on an author named Kienzle. He wrote about a priest who solves murders that have some tie to a Catholic doctrine.  My friend Nancy and I had a hoot looking for 'Sister Joan' books about a nun who was also a parttime sleuth.  I collected all of the Brother Cadfael books about a monk who investigates murders as a sideline in the 12th century.  I can only assume I like books where Catholics get killed."  Somehow I doubt there will ever be a new aisle of fictional books labeled "Religious Mayhem".  (But if there was you'd find me there.)

No comments: