Thursday, June 14, 2018

Cinnamon Fern

Tried the air-conditioning and, while it sounded like it was working, it wasn't blowing cool air.  Called up a local Mom&Pop HVAC company.  They arrived in the late afternoon and the first thing the older man at the door wanted to check was my air filter.  He seemed to think he'd located the problem already when I replied to his question that I had never changed the air filter since the house was built.  When he looked he realized no one had even put a filter in when they installed my A/C unit.  He had the younger guy get down on the floor and clean the coils first.  The young guy fished out a small ball of pet hair.  They gave me the dimensions of what kind of filter I needed and told me what to look for.  The older man said I should change the filter every few months.  He backed off on that time frame when I pointed out this filter isn't part of the heating system and the air-conditioner is run at most seven days a year.  Both men reassured me I wasn't incredibly stupid for not realizing there was no filter.  (Assume this is the usual response among any trades people that want to retain a new customer.) The small ball of fur wasn't enough to cause an issue so they moved to the outside unit.  System had a full charge of freon. The electrical wires that turn on the outside unit, however, had been chewed through by mice.  Can't blame my cats for this one since I don't let them out to patrol the grounds.  The guys spliced in new wires and they had some thoughts on how to solve the rodent problem too.  The air conditioner works again - should I ever need it this year.

No comments: