Friday, March 02, 2018

Festival of Holi in snow

Google reminded me that it was the festival of Holi.  I knew something of the story(s) behind this holiday (one doesn't work for a boss named Yashuwantry Upadhyaya for 15 years and not pick up some Indian lore). People celebrate by pelting each other w/ colored powders and then spraying w/ water.  I put a winter spin on it and decided to color the  taller-than-me snow pile by the front door.  Had food coloring in the cupboard, rinsed out some pop bottles, filled them w/ cold water and put different coloring in each.  Decided straight yellow was not a good idea so added green in to get a chartreuse color.  Popped the bottles in the refrigerator.  Returned to house work until I was at a stopping point.  Grabbed the bottles, went outside and started spraying the snow cliff w/ the colored water.  The result was little pockets of color but it needed more.  Repeated the same thing w/ pots of colored water.  That gave a more of a sweeping pattern.  Throughout the day when I wanted a break I'd hit the snow w/ different colors.  Enjoyed myself but my snow 'canvas' is no Jackson Pollock.  Maybe it will look more interesting as the snow melts.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Your kind of wild and craaazy!
Can you get a picture of Indy on top of the snow bank?