Saturday, August 24, 2013

My grapes in August (not quite ripe yet)

A heifer freshened during my work shift. (Translation: A cow had her first calf in the morning.) When Jody tried to prep her for milking, she started kicking and swiveling around. I walked up on the alley to stand by her head. If you stand in front of a cow, they back up a little and have less wiggle room. I saw by her ear tag that her name is "Chlorine". I told her I sympathized w/ her for getting such an awful moniker but said that she could go by "Chloe" which was kinda cute. I rubbed back and forth on the top of her neck w/ my left hand and w/ my right hand rubbed on the front of her head. Cows love that. Think she had a rough day - first calf, first milking, transported to a new place, new herd. She was tired. She bent her head and laid it across my stomach and just let me talk and rub. Rather sweet. Before long Jody told me the milker was on. Chlorine stood stock (so to speak) still for the rest of the time she was in the parlor. She'll make a good cow.

No comments: