Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ghost Flowers

When I finally find a ghost plant, I stop. It takes a moment but soon, as if popping out of the ground, I'll see more of them around me on the forest floor. Herbalists use this plant to treat pain. It doesn't relieve pain - the patient is still aware there is pain - they just don't feel it. It isn't a hallucinogen but instead it seems to limit the amount of sensation sent to the brain while not inhibiting normal brain functions. Not sure I'll try making my own tincture to test out it's properties. While it takes some time looking, I can find them every year growing in the super rich, moist soil of old woods, I'm not sure how prevalent they are. Think I'll buy my pain prescriptions so I can just enjoy finding these little myco-heterotrophs (big word meaning parasitic plant) for their own beauty.

No comments: