Friday, August 09, 2013

Culver's Root

Tuesday, the boss told us an Ag-related company asked the dairy to give a tour to some of their marketing personnel who had never been to a farm. I talked w/ Mike and we steam cleaned the parlor on Thursday. Sure they aren't customers but no reason not to show the place off to it's best advantage. I wore my t-shirt w/ the dairy's logo and did my best to keep the walkways and walls clean during milking. I was also remembering the marketing types I'd see at Honeywell. They were easy to spot - always in dark business suits/skirts w/ expensive ties/purses. I was pleasantly surprised when the group was shown into the parlor. They wore polo shirts, jeans, and sensible shoes. They looked nice enough to represent their company yet rugged enough to go wherever a farm tour might take them. As Carol, the boss, explained what was going on and answered questions, Jody and I milked cows. I was at least seven feet away from the group when the smell hit me. Someone in the group must have bathed in perfume that morning. To smell it from that distance and around cows that have their own odor, it must have been truly powerful close up. I'm actually hoping the marketer overdid her perfume today thinking she could overwhelm the scent of manure and not that she uses that much everyday.

No comments: