Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bent Trillium

d
On the walk I was in search of the spring ephemeral - perennial plants which develop early each spring, bloom, and then completely disappear until the next spring. Trillium are one type of spring ephemeral. There are three types of trillium that I've found in the area. I tell the difference from the color of the stamens - large flowered trillium have yellow stamens, nodding trillium have pink, and this bent trillium's are white. Finding this trillium wasn't the only excitement on the walk. Twice Indy gave warning barks of something big nearby. Surprised even myself at how fast I could get the pepper spray out of it's holster, uncapped, and my finger on the trigger. Maybe I've learned the quick draw from all of those Western shows on MeTV?

No comments: