Friday, March 08, 2013

Cactus

My town is mostly rural. Every June I am required by law to put a notice in the paper asking if anyone has an issue w/ the town issuing a liquor license to the one bar located here.  At the next town meeting, the board OK's our one liquor license for another year. I get on-line to report the license to the state government (making sure I print out the confirmation number). Inevitably, I'll get another letter later from a local agency asking for the same information. Later I'll get an e-mail from the state asking for a list of licenses issued. Today, I got a call from a state agency asking if the town had issued any liquor licenses. If government wants to save some money, I think (a) different agencies should share information and (b) they ask for information just once.  What the state needs a good data base designer. (Of course, each agency would probably think they need their own and it would be an even bigger mess - just all computerized.)

No comments: