Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Blue Vervain

Got called into work the library tonight at the last minute. When I arrived, the librarian had already left and the volunteer who was suppose to work tonight pointed at a stack of new books and told me to put covers on them and green stickers. I told her I didn't know how to put covers on and she said to stamp them then. Told her I didn't know how to stamp them either. So she told me where to get the stamp that gives the library's address and to stamp inside the cover, on the title page, on page 50 (or as close as possible), somewhere further on and on the back inside cover. Simple enough. Found out that I couldn't do more than three books at a time since the stamp which is self-inking needed a little time to recover. Also, these were all large-print books. Large print books have narrow margins, run chapters together by just using even larger font to print the next chapter's title, and basically try to use up every possible area in an effort to keep the book as small as possible. There were a few books that didn't get any stamps within the pages - just no room. Between stamping a few books, finding requested books, checking in people for the computers, and putting books away, a busy couple of hours.

No comments: