Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Goldenrod seeds

I read on the PETA website that farmers "force" cows to have a calf every year. Obviously they have never been around cows. Cows ovulate every 18 to 25 days. Cow #931, Ion, was in heat today. She came into the parlor but instead of turning into a stall she bent down, stuck her nose into my hair as a prepped another cow and took a deep breath (ick! cow snot in my hair). Once I had the milker on her she was unable to let down her milk. Happens sometimes. The cow is so antsy to be bred that it interferes w/ the hormone that her body naturally produces allowing her to be milked. Notified the herdsman that Ion was in heat and gave her a shot of oxytocin, the missing hormone. Within a minute, the milk was flowing. When we let that group of cows go, she danced down the return alley and I could hear her bawling out in the barn. By tomorrow, she'll be back to her normal self. It's not so much that the farmer's "force" cows to have calves but that if you don't breed a cow, she'll make a real nuisance of herself every month.  I only wish every PETA member had to walk through a pen of cows looking for love.

No comments: