Saturday, October 08, 2011

Mushrooms in a wood bole

Checked in w/ Aunt June at the Nursing Home this morning.   She was feeling a little low so we toured the back yard, watched the birds, made out a card for her granddaughter's birthday, and finally went to the dining room for brunch.  Each resident has a place mat with their name and hers contained notes that she eats only small portions and might need prompting on occasion.  I looked at her and asked if she was hungry.  "Yes," was her reply so I crossed out those notes.  I asked if she wanted coffee w/ her breakfast.  Her eyes lit up.  I wrote in bold letters on her place mat "Requires Coffee."  I read her the menu written on the board and asked which part of it she wanted to eat first.  "Dessert," she replied.  (Don't we all.)  I wrote on the place mat "Lots of Dessert."  We talked about what meals she liked the best and decided that it was chicken.  I printed in big block letters, "Wants Chicken Cordon Bleu."  Would that be a good diet for her?  Well, maybe not.  However at age 91 I figure she's got a right to eat whatever pleases her.

No comments: