Sunday, September 11, 2011

Flat-topped Aster

Went shopping for work clothes today - jeans and black tees.  It struck me that the store ads here are quite different from the ones where I used to shop.  When I lived and worked in the Big City, the models were waif-thin and often had one leg stuck out at a strange angle - like they had stepped in something nasty and hadn't had time to clean it off yet.  Their expressions ranged from aloof indifference to direct-stare hostility.  The store ads where I shop now have women who look fit, often standing w/ feet equidistant apart, inevitably smiling.   I don't know anything about advertising but would assume a business hopes their clientele identifies w/ the people in their ads.  An interesting thing to consider next time you go shopping.

No comments: