Friday, March 11, 2011

Crow tracks in the snow

A local farmer stopped by to conduct some township business.  He asked if I had seen a lot of coyotes around this year and said he had had to kill one last week.  I think my state has a year-round season on coyotes and he seemed pretty justified under the circumstances.  He saw coyotes out in his cow yard so picked up his rife and walked out there.  The coyotes were attacking a heifer and she pivoted quickly trying to shake them off.  One coyote had his teeth firmly clamped on the heifer's tail so when she turned, it went air-borne.  The farmer brought up his rifle and shot, killing the coyote in mid-air.   "Funny thing is," he said to me, "I don't use my rifle much and I'm not that good a shot."  Bet the heifer is glad his aim was perfect this time (in more ways than one).

No comments: