Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Santa Rita Prickly Pear

A picture from my brother, Phil.     The primary election was yesterday and I went over to the polling place at 7:00 pm to start wrapping up.  The polls closed at 8 and by that time I had most of the paperwork done.   I've been trying to push the use of the voting machine and only ordered 50 paper ballots this time, usually plenty for a primary.  However, because of the school referendum, our turnout was almost the same as it was for the last presidential election.  When we began to run out of ballots, my chief election inspector, instead of pointing people to the voting machine, sent over to the county clerk for more paper ballots.  We stayed until 10 pm counting paper ballots last night.   I don't hear people complain about using touch-screens at the gas pumps and I see people actually use ATM's in the stores.   I don't know.  Guess touch-screen voting is just one step too far for some of the town's people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What would happen if you only had the touch screen? Living in Memphis, we thought they were a little backward. When I worked the polls in KY, they weren't so backward any more. In KY & FL we mark a paper ballot and send it through the machine to be counted. When the polls close, they have the totals in minutes. JVM