Thursday, October 07, 2010

Fall Color

I was so excited. PBS Great Performances aired Macbeth w/ Patrick Stewart in the starring role. The "Scottish play" was a perfect selection to show in the month of October. Though it didn't even start until 8 pm - past my bedtime - I propped myself up in the bed to watch. Instead of the year 1040 in Scotland, the setting was changed to something akin to Stalin's Russia. (I've seen Shakespeare plays done in many periods and it doesn't really matter what the background is, the words seem to meld to where ever they find themselves.) Patrick Stewart was a perfect fit for Macbeth in this fascist scenario. However, the 3 weird sisters were played as nuns (just too weird, even for me). Their prophesies are given in rap - not period correct - so the underlying theme of predestination vs. free-will is lost. However, even w/ all of that going on, I couldn't stay awake. Nice thing about PBS - they will be showing it again sometime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is what TiVo is for! Hint hint.

Rebecca