Monday, August 23, 2010

Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana)

The clothes dryer stopped working Saturday morning. It worked Friday and then the next day the drum would turn but no heat. I got out the manual and it suggested that one of the fuses had blown. I checked the fuse box - everything looked OK. So washed all of my clothes, took them downtown to the laundromat and dried them there. Easy. Figuring out who to contact to fix it would be more problematic. But when Brent called today, I told him my issue and he suggested flipping the fuses for the dryer off and back on. "Couldn't hurt", I thought. Well, that did the trick. I think this episode should have taught me something but I just can't put my finger on what it might be - Breakdowns usually occur on weekends and holidays? Always flip the switch? Men and machines are simpatico?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Men and machines are simpatico.

Anonymous said...

Always call Brent first.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I have had that problem a couple of times.Wish I knew about flipping the switch.
One repairman replaced the heating unit.
The next time, I said it was the heating unit and he literally took the whole dryer apart to prove that it wasn't. I ended up buying another dryer. I still believe it was the heating unit.
JVM

Anonymous said...

Great picture.

Clearly a milkweed flower though.

Not the common pokeweed (Phytolacca americana)

but rather the poke milkweed (Asclepias exaltata)