Friday, May 07, 2010

Dwarf Ginsing

My front door no longer opened. Everything appeared normal but the handle didn't move the latch. I used some flat edges to nudge the latch back and then taped the opening. My front door is now basically unlocked. Not that big a deal around here. First, most rural people have guns (that they know how to use) and dogs (usually something big). You have to be pretty stupid to enter an occupied home uninvited. Second, there isn't any money kept in rural homes. It's wrapped up in the tractor, fertilizer, and cows. Third, my front door is all glass anyway. If someone really wanted in, they would just throw a rock through it. But the door needs to be fixed soon. The north wind is so strong here on top of the hill, I need to latch the door to keep the elements out.

2 comments:

Brent said...

I like the picture of the plant. Reminds me of fireworks.

Anonymous said...

When we were growing up, I never thought about the unlocked doors - until I moved to a large city. Oh My! You and I shared a bedroom, that was downstairs, so when someone knocked on the front door, in the middle of the night, (needed Dad to pull their vehicle out of the ditch, I just opened the door and said Hi! Still laughing about the joys of rural life.

CB