Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Pickin`up the bales

The corn on the way into town is tasselling. I love the smell of pollen so drive w/ my windows down when I travel that stretch.  There are also forest fires in Alberta so occasionally I've been smelling wood smoke at night. Come to think of it, it usually smells quite wonderful around here.  In the winter there is the faint evergreen scent.  In the spring there is the sweet smell of the flowering trees - plums, apples, cherries, elderberry, lilacs.  The blooming times are staggered so the smells last a long time.  In summer the flowers kick in w/ fields of bergamot, clover, and milkweed flavoring the air.  Now that is getting later into the year I can smell the  mown hay and the ripening tall grasses (not to mention the corn).  I try to remember all of those wonderful scents on those relatively few days my neighbor upwind spreads manure. (Actually I'm far enough distant that even that smell is OK w/ me.)

No comments: