Tuesday, May 03, 2016

just emerging ferns

My neighbor sent me an article - our closest village made the list of the 10 worst small towns in our state. I got on-line to see what criteria got it this notoriety. First was low population density - the lower the worst. I didn't think it was such a bad thing to have plenty of room between people but then I choose to live in the country. Second is a low housing cost. Low cost sounds like it would be a good thing, but the study pointed to this fact as showing a low housing demand. The study also took into account adjusted median income and unemployment levels. The whole county has been the second poorest in the state for awhile so I would assume we didn't do too well on those factors. They checked on the number of high school dropouts among the population in total - not just recently. Lastly the study looked at crime rates. We aren't a place for a lot of high profile crime but each week there are DWI's and stealing from cabins mentioned in the local paper. Guess the only thing to do is to figure out how to get off the list for next year.

No comments: