Friday, October 09, 2026

The Maple Gate

 Today is the string of clinic appointments in Churchville.  I prefer early appointments so the first check-in is 7:30 a.m.  That meant I had to get up an hour early this morning.  Still dark when Whip and I went for our constitutional.   That also meant the first part of the drive was in the dark but I went slow along back roads.  Cresting one hill, I saw a yearling standing in the road.  He turned his head to look at me. He seemed ... confused.  My guess: he's spent all of his young life following mom.  He's temporarily lost sight of her and is unsure of what to do next.  He made his first independent decision and walked off to the side of the road.  It's October so, even if he doesn't find mom again, he should be well equipped enough to make it through the winter.  Pretty sure though she isn't far away.

The clinic has senior citizen spots to park close to the entrance but I eschewed them.  I may be senior but not that senior yet.  Got checked in and sent to a waiting area for a minute or so before I saw a tech.  That didn't take long and they pointed me down a long hallway to where my second appointment would be.  I was there a whole five minutes before another tech got me for another test.  After that I checked my phone for the last appointment.  That was back the way I'd come but on the second floor. The person scheduling had planned a half hour between each appointment so when I checked in for the last test, I was more than an hour ahead of my appointment time.  The receptionist found my name on her list and said it probably wouldn't be long.  It wasn't..  Morning appointments are the way to go!

Afterward I drove around Churchville to do a couple of errands and was on my way home. Stopped off to check for my mail when I heard my name.  It was Friend Colleen who asked if I might know the dollar amount the library brought in for book sales?  Maybe the amount for last year too?   The Village Hall is again open (they had a sprinkler leak/deluge early in the year).  The Village had been letting the library use one of their rooms for book sales but were rethinking that now they could use some extra storage space.   Colleen wanted to know if the book room was worth it to the library and have some tangible numbers to show the Village.   Duh! I not only had a graph showing the numbers by month but also for the last three years.  (Actually, I'd made the graph for a different reason but it would serve Colleen's purpose perfectly).  At the library I printed it out for her - she was impressed.  I aim to please.

No comments: