Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Crabapples

My way of celebrating Labor Day was sitting out on the deck and listening to an audio book.  My current book is in the genre of Harry Potter written for young adults.  Same basic start: 12-year old goes to boarding school where magical things happen. This time the 'magic' is by way of  five of the Greek gods/goddesses.  For once my knowledge of mythology has come in handy and, even if I haven't finished the book yet, I know what's going on.  I wondered though if junior high kids would be able to follow along.  How many of them have studied classical mythology?  Would they pick up on all of the clues the author liberally scatters through the narrative?  Then I remembered how many kids during the Summer Reading Program could quote dinosaur names to me so maybe?

This morning we had a lovely long rain storm.   I couldn't just toss Whip outside and tell her to do her thing.  She sat in the shelter of the front doorway waiting for me.  I had to put on my rain slicker and go outside before she'd venture into the rain.  We only went part way before Whip was ready to turn around and I agreed.  She ran all the way back to the house and then wiped her head vigorously against the couch to get her fur dry again.  Thought Labrador's were suppose to like water.

Took off to meet Friend Nancy for breakfast.  We haven't seen each other in over a month.  I didn't recite to her the gory details of my recent hospital stay.  She didn't show me all of the pics she took of her recent trip to a family wedding.  She did share a couple of pics she thought I might be interested in: the wedding dress, some dinosaur bones, and rocks.  That's true friendship.


No comments: