Friday, August 30, 2024

Fluorescent Rocks

We made it to the Fair!   First stop - the Hippodrome so I could pick up a rock.  I started buying rocks each Fair visit probably back in the '80s.  This time I was influenced by Kathy's Christmas gift to me and the new room divider.  I chose two fluorescent rocks (yooperlite and ruby in fuschsite) and a large cherry quartz sphere.  Afterward we walked up through the Fair til we arrived at the DFL tent.  Kathy wanted to see what was going on and buy pins.  I sat down at an outside bench near a lady in a wheelchair.  She too was waiting for someone waiting in line.  Great - a captive audience.  I  pulled out the rocks I'd just purchased, unwrapped them, and explained the characteristics of each to her.  She seemed amused as she would hand one rock back to me as I proffered her another.  We then talked about the upcoming election.  She said she was still deciding about how to vote.  When her husband and daughter returned they pinned a DFL button on her.   She gave me a wink saying, "That's what they think." and they were off.  Kathy returned and we walked on up through the Fair streets to the Northwoods furniture site  We had found this location at the Fair one year and I'd liked their outside furniture.  Turned out their store is just North of me in Lumberjackville.    Since then I've ordered a piece of furniture every year here (I get the Fair discount that way).  This year it was to be a picnic table.  They had one like I saw on-line off to the side so I sat at it - didn't like it.  Had to pass, however, a smaller square table on the way there with benches around it.  I tried sitting at that one.  Liked that table a lot and think it will fit together w/ another table I already have.  Ordered it and one bench (can pick up more benches in the future).    We did a few more activities, watched some dog training (Whip can do most of that stuff), and bought some dog treats.   Before sunset we were on the bus headed back to the hotel.  Another successful Fair excursion.  Kathy and Stan are staying in town for a few more days and will probably go again but I returned home the next morning.  The Fair is my last summer activity - I'm ready now for autumn.

No comments: