Saturday, May 25, 2024

Grandma's grave

All of my siblings remember helping Grandpa & Grandma prepare for Memorial Day.  It's fun to keep up that tradition.  I've been babying along the five pots I planted at the beginning of the month.  I fretted that they might not be in bloom this weekend.   I watered them rather than leave them out in the rain.  I sheltered them in Sleipnir from the wind.  Brother Phil thought he'd like to make a bouquet of his own (told you we all have memories) so early this morning we took Jormungunder out to the Nannyberry (might be Blackhaw) growing next to Gorgeous Gorge.  They just went into bloom and have globular clusters of white flowers.  Phil cut some.  We went across the dam and he picked chokecherry blossoms from trees there.  At the border of the pasture and the field was a small bush w/ pinkish flowers.  I didn't recognize it but we cut a few.  The lilacs are reaching the end of their season but he found some near the house and in a small group out by the road that hadn't been decimated.  We arranged them in a small pitcher.  Sheila, Phil, and I drove out at 7:30 to the cemetery and placed the flower pots on each grave.   Yes, the cemetery is again awash in garish plastic crap but I tried to focus on any real plants that had been set out.  Afterward we went for breakfast.  Back home I started doing searches on what the pretty pink flowers might be.  I was fairly certain they were a honeysuckle of some sort.   The more research I did the more it looks like they are a Showy Honeysuckle which is invasive.  Fortunately I can go out and double check by cutting a stem and seeing if it has a pith.  No pith means nonnative.  If that's the case the best time to kill a honeysuckle is in the autumn so I can mark it for later destruction.   I'm glad 'cause somehow it just seems wrong to kill them on Memorial Weekend.

No comments: