Thursday, March 14, 2024

Canadian Geese

 

The geese were still on the pond today and the one had taught the other the keep-your-head-down trick.  Actually from the top of the hill they did look more like two rocks by the side of the pond than live animals.  They kept that pose until Whip came to the water's edge for a drink.  The ruse abruptly ended.  They raised their heads, paddled out to the middle of the pond, turned to face her, and began honking.  Strangely they paid no attention to me.  Whip was intrigued but I kept walking.  Once I was out of sight of the pond whistled for her to come.  The honking stopped as Whip raced down the path toward me.  It occurred to me that the pair might not be just resting up before continuing north but may want to raise a family here.  Tricky w/ coon around and a big snapper that comes up from the swamp most years, not to mention the coyotes and inquisitive Whip.  However, I suppose there are similar issues whereever they might choose to nest.  Would be nice to see little goslings paddling around.

No comments: