Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Red Sky in the Morning ...

 

This morning I washed clothes and hung them on the line to dry.  When Whip and I got back from our walk, the house was so warm I actually opened some windows (much to Dunder & Blitzen's delight).  When I got in the car to go the Planning Commission meeting tonight though, I was driving in a snowstorm.  There was only one driveway permit to discuss and it was an easy OK.  The Town Chairman Steve had come up w/ another question for us to consider - what fines should the town impose on vehicles that flaunt the road bans.  Planning Committee Chairman Roger had already checked to see what the overall state fines were for weight limit infractions and he read off a synopsis for us.  He also said the county sheriff doesn't want to be called for this kind of issue.  They have their hands full w/ more pressing matters.  We'd have to call in the state troopers if we needed to charge a violator.  I said making another ordinance would be moot: town roads are covered under an existing state ordinance, state troopers don't patrol town roads, and it's difficult to tell if a truck is overweight just by looking at it.  Once again I was in the minority and it was decided to table the issue until next month's meeting.   This idea has some merit so I don't mind seeing if other towns have their own ordinances and double checking that the state statutes do indeed cover town roads.  Don't know how we'll ever enforce such an ordinance but maybe just it's existance (w/ hefty fines) will be deterrent enough.

No comments: