Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Horticulture Building displays

I drove to the Big City Monday afternoon.  My preplanning paid off and the only thing I forgot was wearing my ring which helps me determine right vs. left.  Not a big deal.  Met up w/ friend Kathy, her husband Stan, their friend Kim and we ate at a Thai restaurant.  One of the things I miss living in the Northwoods is being able to eat at ethnic restaurants.  Tuesday morning was State Fair!  We got a bus that deposited us directly at the fairgrounds.  First walked up to the DNR building and the outdoor pool there filled w/ local varieties of fish.  It's a popular spot so viewing it early on gives you time to watch the fish and walk through their man-made swamp adjoining it.  (You know how I love a swamp.)   Checked out a Fair 'princess' being carved in a block of butter and got a malt.  Walked over to where I buy my deck furniture.  I hadn't planned on buying anything this year but friend Kathy talked me into a new piece.  The salesman gave her a bottle of water in thanks for completing a sale.  Sat and watched some dog agility.  A local club was showing off their small dogs and the younger ones made big mistakes.  The audience laughed, no one got upset, lots of tail wagging, lots of hugs - couldn't help but smile.  Walked through the Horticulture building where the theme for the flower displays was 'Haunted Autumn'.  Not sure that the plantings actually added to the theme but it was creative.   Later over at the Hippodrome we could sit again to watch heifer judging.  Found the guy I usually buy rocks from and purchased a couple more.  Ate fair food on a stick.  Early afternoon, Kathy and I jumped on a bus which delivered us right across from our hotel.  Kathy and I went to the movie and then on to a Mexican place for supper.  This morning we ate out at a local bistro and I left for home.  I was on the freeway out of town in the fast lane.  Saw road construction signs coming up -  they warned that the right hand lane would be closed.  I got over into the middle lane.  Then I saw cars pulling into the lane I'd just vacated and traffic cones coming up to cut off access to the slow lane.  "Crap." I said.  Without my ring once again I'd mixed up right and left.  While it bugs me that I can't seem to get straight something a little kid knows before they go to school I won't complain.  Beautiful weather, great food, State Fair, and time w/ friends - life is good.

No comments: