Friday, May 20, 2022

Disking up a field

After the morning constitutional, the dog and I walked the deck.  She noticed it first.  The cups that I fill w/ grape jelly on the oriole feeder weren't there.  Found them in the grass below - empty.  The platform feeder w/ it's seeds appeared to have been pulled to one side but no damage.  Whip had walked ahead of me and was now crunching on the remains of the block I'd had in the suet cage.  The door of the cage was open.  Whip is smart but not dextrous enough to open that catch.  Looks like I had a visitor in the night.  Not a bear.  The damage would have been more extensive.  Probably a coon.  Last night I brought the grape jelly cups inside.  When I went out this morning to place them back in the feeder I saw one of the three hummingbird feeders was on the ground and the other two had been completely drained. Will have to bring in all of the feeders nightly for awhile - until I'm off the coon's 'goodies' path.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Maybe you could set up a camera out there to catch the action. Would be interesting to see what critters you get.