Sunday, February 16, 2020

Bringing up the rear

After shaking hands w/ the greeters as Nancy and I came into church and the pastor requesting us to shake hands w/ those sitting around us, we settled back to listen to the sermon. The pastor spoke from Psalms 2. While I listened I noticed a quiet harmony of sniffles, coughs, and blowing noses from the congregation. Tis the season! The sermon was shortened since it was a communion Sunday. I felt a nudge and looked over. Nancy was surreptitiously offering me her small bottle of hand sanitizer. I've heard many preachers talk about taking communion but the prior cleaning of hands was never mentioned. Communion, I believe, is an act of remembrance and not a rite of transmutation - the bread and drink aren't endowed w/ any dispensation from spreading disease. I gratefully accepted the bottle and cleaned my hands. Figure God expects we use the smarts he gave us.

No comments: