Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Catbird?

I was talking to myself this morning and said "Wait 'til it's a fait accompli."  That got me to wondering why we still use Latin phrases?  Latin is a dead language (i.e. no native speakers).  'Quid pro quo' is a term in the news lately.  English  has lots of other idioms that mean the same thing: 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch your's'; 'tit for tat'; 'a favor for a favor'; 'one hand washes the other'; 'I'll give you $391 million of U.S. government money if you find my political rival's son did something illegal'.  I can understand why music, medicine, and the legal professions use the Latin terms deeply embedded in their specific jargon.  However, why throw a 'Carpe Diem', 'Veni, Vidi, Vici',  or 'In Vino Veritas' into a casual conversation?   I think it's because Latin makes us sound learned.   For many years, Latin was a required course in the higher grades and colleges.  Therefore including a phrase in Latin was once a sign the speaker had some education.   Of course, I didn't feel quite so smart when it occurred to me later that 'fait accompli' is French not Latin.  Barba tenus sapientes!

No comments: