Monday, September 03, 2018

Statues

Part of my Labor Day celebrations is to clean the septic system's filter.  Not as onerous a job as it sounds.  Access to the sewer is via three heavy concrete slabs.  First remove the chains over the top of the furthest slab and then, using applied physics, move it far enough aside to get access to the filter.  Give the filter a quick rinse w/ the hose and reverse the process to put everything back in place.  Got me to thinking though.  My friends Kathy and Stan had recently sold their house and given me three metal rabbit statues. I had a plan for a temporary spot for them but it occurred to me that I might have discovered a more permanent placement.  I had considered planting shrubs or flowers around these concrete slabs but I knew that wouldn't work since the area is trampled down when the sewer is accessed for maintenance.  I'd just let the meadow grow up around them instead.  I decided to place a rabbit statue atop each slab.  The statues have a stable flat base to sit on.  I won't have to move them when I mow.   They are both unobtrusive and yet surprising when the casual observer suddenly realizes they are there.  I kinda like putting up statues - so like Senusret I.  (With as much Ancient Egyptian info I've been inundated by recently, it will be awhile before my mind stops making comparisons.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look happy in their new home. And best part is I get to see them when I visit :)

kn