Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Orange-belted bumblebee on Apple blossoms

I picked up a list of the "100 books to read before going to college" when I was in high school.  So I did. (Well most of them.)  TV Public Broadcasting tonight introduced their list of 'America's 100 best-loved novels'.  Indy and I got in from our walk a little late so I missed the first part of the show.  Maybe they explained why nothing from Shakespeare, Chaucer, Verne, or Poe made the list.  How can 'Fifty Shades of Grey' be included but not 'The Scarlet Letter'.  The 'Twilight' series is there but not 'Dracula' nor the 'Sherlock Holmes' stories.   On the plus side Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Agatha Christie, and Isaac Asimov have books mentioned.  You can vote for your fav book on their website once a day until the Fall when they announce which book of those 100 got the most votes.  Nice that you can vote for multiple books since there are so many great ones in their own way.  Tonight I voted for 'Their Eyes Were Watching God'.  I think the next book I check out from the library will be one on the list that I haven't yet read - but it won't be the books in the 'Left Behind' series.

No comments: