Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Bobolink

Always look forward to the arrival of the bobolinks. My bird books say they were once numerous but their numbers have been declining for years. The small hiking size bird book for my state doesn't even mention them. They nest in grasslands and hay fields. However, the cutting of hay fields earlier and earlier in the year result in nests failing. It's not so much that I'm happy to see that there are still some birds to return to my meadow (though I am) or that they are a particularily pretty bird (black and white w/ a yellow nape) but that they have the greatest song. It bubbles, gurgles and they'll throw in a buzz along w/ a musical riff. It's long and joyful and says all-is-right-w/-the-world. Bobolinks come to my meadow late and leave as soon as the babies can fly. A good reminder to stop and enjoy the moment while it lasts.

No comments: