Monday, January 25, 2016

Sundog

This month's photo contest topic is macro or "larger than it really is". The rules of the contest allow us to use old pictures so I could use pics of insects that I'd taken over the years but I wanted to try something different. My brother Phil had made me a light-box for stained glass work and I thought I could use it to backlight some feathers. A turkey feather worked well. Backlighting brought out it's texture. However the ruffed grouse feather and peacock feathers just looked grey. The use reflected light to bring out their iridescent colors. I started playing around - putting all sorts of things on the light-box to see how they would photograph. Take away: (1) Being creative is looking at things in a different way. (2) I'm easily entertained.

No comments: